[gst-devel] Can I force the filesink element to "notify" with an upstream event?

Topi Hukkanen topi.hukkanen at gmail.com
Mon Aug 4 11:59:00 CEST 2008

I have a My-videosrc element, and the HW is handled in such a way that the
buffer provided by the video source must be released...  eventually.  There
is an available pool of buffers, so I can afford to send the data pointer
through the pipeline and then release it later.  I am also trying to avoid
unnecessary data copies, so I want to release this video data buffer only
when the gstreamer buffer has reached the filesink element and has been
recorded to file.

Can I "mark" the gst-buffer somehow, so the filesink will send an upstream
event to My-videosrc, at which point I can release the data so the buffer
can be re-used by the video hw?

Is there a "nice" way to do this?  Am I barking up the right tree?

Thanks,
Topi