[gst-devel] GStreamer on Windows

Vláďa vladovi at atlas.cz
Sat Aug 23 18:12:45 CEST 2008

Hello,

I'm trying to use GStreamer and it's Python bindings on Windows. I
installed GStreamer with all plugins and the Python bindings. After
trying to run the 2.3 CLI example from
http://pygstdocs.berlios.de/pygst-tutorial/playbin.html I get following
error: "OIL: ERROR liboilcpu.c 282:
oil_cpu_i386_kernel_restrict_flags(): Operating system is not known to
support SSE. Assuming it does, which might cause problems". Then the
program freezes. Do you have any idea what might be wrong or what should
I try?

I tried if GStreamer works according to PyGST documentation I tried to
run "gst-launch-0.10 playbin uri=file:///c:\file.mp3" but I get 2
errors. "ERROR: Piepeline doesn't want to pause.", then "ERROR: from
element /playbin0: A FILE protocol source plugin is required to play
this stream, but not installed." The full error message can be seen
here: http://img355.imageshack.us/img355/9163/gstreameruz0.png
<file:///path/to/file.mkv>
Is my syntax correct? Or is the problem somewhere else?

Also my application should be portable (it is possible with Python on
Windows) but I have no idea where I should place GStreamer libraries. It
seems to me that placing the main libraries in program's root folder
works, but plugins are not found there. Any advice on this?

I would really appreciate any documentation on using GStreamer on
Windows. Thank you.

Regards,
Vlada