[gst-devel] Can a MPEG-1 with Audio Layers 1&2 plugin be in plugins-good (patentwise)?

jjcogliati-gstreamer at yahoo.com jjcogliati-gstreamer at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 26 04:36:45 CEST 2008

Okay, here is a recap of the patent status as I understand it:
MPEG-2 Patent encumbered.  MPEG-LA claims quite a few patents
MPEG-1 Audio Layer 3 (MP3) Patent encumbered.  AudioMPEG, Lucent and Thompson claim patents.
MPEG-1 Video.  No unexpired patents known to this list, but might be patent encumbered.
MPEG-1 Audio Layers 1 and 2.  No unexpired patents known to this list, but might be patent encumbered.

Because of patent worries, even MPEG-1 Video and MPEG-1 Audio Layers 1 and 2 decoders and encoders might not be able to be added to plugins-good even if the code would otherwise be acceptable.

Is that correct?

Josh Cogliati