[gst-devel] clean gstreamer installation

David Schleef ds at schleef.org
Tue Aug 26 07:27:53 CEST 2008

On Tue, Aug 26, 2008 at 10:10:39AM +0800, Eric Zhang wrote:
>     So, I have to download the latest source package, compile and
> install them with `--prefix=/usr'. This will overwrite the older
> gstreamer files  and though it's not graceful but it works.

It is not necessary to do this.  The default install to /usr/local
will happily coexist with the installation in /usr.  Set the
following environment variables to use libraries, etc., in /usr/local:

  LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/local/lib
  PKG_CONFIG_PATH=/usr/local/lib/pkgconfig
  PATH=/usr/local/bin:$PATH

Overwriting files in /usr is a sure way to screw up your entire
system.

dave...