[gst-devel] Best encoder for streaming video?

Manish Rana manish.rana at gmail.com
Fri Aug 29 21:00:02 CEST 2008

Dear MFonnesbeck,

Though i am not an expert on Streaming.......but whatever i know let me try
to help you.......

As far as encoder is concerned you can use any of the encoder.....i can say
try with H263 or H264........

Also to get the better Video Quality you can reduce the bitrate and
Framerate to see the changes....By default the bitrate given by encoder is
too high that can't be used on the Mobile Device......So please reduce the
FrameRate and Bitrate.....( i am sure you can see the significant change in
the qualtiy........... )
To improve the VideoQuality bit more you can Increase IFrame Rate...as on
the network there are more chances of a packet getting lost so...if iFrames
are coming frequenlty the qualtiy will be definately better.......

Now finaly to have better AV sync....you can use RTCP and get the exact
jitter valaue....set it on the gstrtpbin and see the AV sync as well as
video will be smoother......Or just to check try setting jittervalue to
1000.......

Manish