[gst-devel] missing "--disable-index" option, in gstreamer-0.10.21

Stefan Kost ensonic at hora-obscura.de
Mon Dec 1 15:59:11 CET 2008

hi,

Sameer Naik schrieb:
> Thanks for your prompt reply.
>
> I read this comment made:
> "Disabling the indexers and URI handler code will only reduce the required
> amount of memory by a very small amount"
>
> Is it a fact that an extremely small amount of memory is used. Does this hold
> true for embedded application's where memory becomes an important parameter.
> Say i am playing a 2Gb video file. won't indexing the entire file take up quite
> a chunk of memory?

I am on a embedded system as well. There are a couple of thing that we
can improve on the 0.11 timeframe regarding the structure of the
gstreamer core library. But keeping to many things optional also puts a
lot of hassle into maintenance. Regarding the index feture, it will
probably be used by more plugins in the future and thus it became less
attractive to allow disabling it.
> Secondly which version onwards was the --disable-index option removed

Have a look at the ChangeLog.

Stefan