[gst-devel] Compiz Video Performance

Murray Blakeman mblakeman at netspace.net.au
Wed Dec 3 11:25:28 CET 2008

I use Totem/GStreamer for viewing movie files.

With Compiz active the picture breaks up, especially in fullscreen.

How do I improve/fix the performance of video in Compiz.

CPU usage doesn't go beyond 20% but the picture still breaks up (tears)
quite often.

When I disable Compiz I can view the movies perfectly.

I have enabled the "Video Plugin" for Compiz but it doesn't appear to
make a difference.

I've seen patches for mplayer to take advantage of the "Video Plugin"
but my preference is to continue to use GStreamer if I can.

I have a P4 3.3Ghz, 1GB RAM, with a GeForce FX Go5200 Video.

I'm running OpenSolaris 2008.11 with the legacy NVidia drivers.