[gst-devel] Registry broken with umask 0177

Behdad Esfahbod behdad at behdad.org
Wed Dec 10 00:35:49 CET 2008

Hi,

I found this bug because I mistakenly added a "umask(0177)" to
gnome-settings-daemon.  This causes both fontconfig and gstreamer to create
their cache directory with that umask, effectively making it unusable.  This
was causing gstreamer to fail to update cache in its forked child, then trying
again from parent, failing there too and deciding to die, crashing my
gnome-settings-daemon process!  I predicted that out in my previous mail...

Anyway, other than not retrying from the parent, gstreamer should:

  1) chmod() its directory after creating,
  2) If writing to directory fails, try again after a chmod.

That's also what I'm going to make fontconfig do.

Cheers,

behdad