[gst-devel] Doubts on the plugins

Christopher Halse Rogers chalserogers at gmail.com
Tue Dec 23 12:26:46 CET 2008

On Tue, Dec 23, 2008 at 6:57 PM, Rajesh K <gstdoubts at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Rogers,
> So do you mean to say that I need to have all the plugins like ffmpeg as
> well as good, bad etc?
>  I just looked at the plugins in the gst-good, not many codecs exist. Is
> that the reason you require ffmpeg plugins apart from the good/bad/ugly?(My
> line of thinking is can I just skip ffmpeg plugins and go with just good bad
> & ugly plugins in case I have the required codecs)
> Regards
> Rajesh

I'm not entirely sure what you are asking.  Lots of codecs are covered
by the combination of good, bad, and ugly.  The ffmpeg plugin
leverages the extremely broad codec support of the ffmpeg library to
provide encoders and decoders for more obscure codecs and
muxer/demuxers for more obscure containers.

You don't _need_ any of the plugin packages, although obviously you
won't be able to play anything.  The particular plugins you do need
will depend on the file or stream you're trying to play, and the
system you're trying to play them on.