[gst-devel] Media type probing

Sergey Yakimenko starshiy at apriorit.com
Wed Dec 24 12:49:46 CET 2008

Hello all,

I wonder if there is a way to determine whether there are gstreamer elements
in a certain gstreamer configuration on a certain system that support certain
media type? In other words, if there is a mechanism, or a way to implement
such a mechanism similar to DirectShow's IGraphBuilder::Render() or
IFilterGraph2::RenderEx() functions? I now that there is a way of recognizing
media type - decodebin, etc.; but I need to do the opposite operation: I have
a media stream with fully specified mediatype, and I'd like to know whether I
can play the stream, but to know this before I start playing, i.e. without
playing the stream.

I would be highly appreciate for any advice.

Sergey Yakimenko