[gst-devel] New Video Decode and Presentation API

David Schleef ds at entropywave.com
Wed Dec 17 18:41:45 CET 2008

On Wed, Dec 17, 2008 at 04:46:59PM +0100, Iñigo Illán Aranburu wrote:
> What about VA API? Why are you pushing a diferent technology instead of
> working with the comunity? This fragmentation, I think, benefits no one

 From a GStreamer perspective, VDPAU (and OpenMax) are much better
APIs, since they roughly fit into the GStreamer system.  VA does not
provide complete decoders, it leaves that to example code or an
(unwritten) higher level.  So we'll be waiting for the VA developers
to create a library that provides a complete decoder.

 From NVidia's perspective, my speculation is that they started this
project long before VA was thought of.

dave...