[gst-devel] gst-ffmpeg & decodebin

Michael Smith msmith at fluendo.com
Thu Feb 7 10:51:49 CET 2008

On Wed, 2008-02-06 at 20:49 +0100, Tom Cooksey wrote:
> For my small case, where ffmpeg works and I want to use it, how would you
> recomend I proceed? I know I can patch gstffmpegdec.c & gstffmpegdemux.c, but
> is there another way? Can I edit ~/.gstreamer-0.10/registry.xxxx.xml ? Will
> this be re-generated everytime a plugin is upgraded/installed/uninstalled? Is
> there any way to override the rank at runtime?

If you want to force use of ffmpeg decoders/demuxers where we've
explicitly disabled autoplugging, then:
 1) you have to patch the source code. (the registry is auto-regenerated
whenever anything changes; there's not yet any API for
rank-modification)
 2) Please make sure it's very obvious that you're using a
custom-patched gst-ffmpeg, so when we get bug reports because these
decoders crash, we can reassign to them to you. We're NOT going to
support this.

Mike