[gst-devel] GStreamer embedded mailing list proposal

Julien Moutte julien at moutte.net
Tue Feb 19 16:56:29 CET 2008

Dear GStreamers,

I have received requests and met a few people from the embedded world
and it is pleasing to know that they use and appreciate GStreamer.

I was surprised, though, to discover that most of them have been
refactoring big chunks of the frame work to suit their needs and they
are not sharing their ideas with our community. I was even more
surprised to see that they sometimes have issues and questions about
GStreamer but they don't dare, or consider it off-topic, to mail the
-devel list about them.

After some interesting discussion on IRC (yes we still do things first
on IRC before going to the list), I proposed to send that mail to raise
a discussion around that topic.

A potential idea would be to create a dedicated list around the embedded
community and their GStreamer discussions. The goal there would be to
focus on embedded concerns and have a good communication channel between
companies, individuals and organizations around GStreamer's future.

The risk here is that this could get the traffic on that list to a very
low level (if it is a subset of the current gst-devel traffic).  And
additionally it might be harder to get replies to questions if we expect
current hackers to pay attention to both lists. On the other hand,
embedded people might feel more involved and we could see some new faces
coming up on that list with interesting ideas, discussions.

So if you are working on an embedded project together with GStreamer and
you feel that having a dedicated communication channel would help you
collaborate on the project please bring your points to that thread.

Thanks for your attention.

Best regards,

Julien Moutte.