[gst-devel] How do get the number of frames in a video file?

Nick Haddad nhaddad at mathworks.com
Tue Feb 19 22:48:52 CET 2008

I want to retrieve the duration of a video file in frames, but can't
figure out the best way to do this.

Calling...

GstFormat fmt = GST_FORMAT_DEFAULT;
gst_element_query_duration( _pipeline, &fm, &numFrames)

...doesn't work.  I'm assuming because the pipeline doesn't know about
the "default format" (GST_FORMAT_TIME works fine).

Which element in my pipeline should I query for the number of video
frames?  Is this even possible.  Currently I am building a pipeline
using decodebin.

Thanks,
-Nick