[gst-devel] GStreamer embedded mailing list proposal

Jan Schmidt thaytan at noraisin.net
Thu Feb 21 13:29:29 CET 2008

Julien Moutte wrote:
> A potential idea would be to create a dedicated list around the embedded
> community and their GStreamer discussions. The goal there would be to
> focus on embedded concerns and have a good communication channel between
> companies, individuals and organizations around GStreamer's future.

*snip*
> So if you are working on an embedded project together with GStreamer and
> you feel that having a dedicated communication channel would help you
> collaborate on the project please bring your points to that thread.

Like Stefan, I'm not certain of the benefits of creating a new list
'just for embedded issues'. While it's true that there are some embedded
specific issues like working in smaller space/time constraints, to a
large extent improvements there apply to the Desktop too, and in any
case it's all perfectly on-topic (imho) for the main devel list. I
expect there are probably other people who have read this thread and not
replied who feel the same way.

On the other hand, if creating a separate embedded list can encourage
existing silent users to come out of the woodwork, that's a good thing.
It might also be a good way to more explicitly state our interest in
making sure GStreamer stays scale-able.

The biggest downside and risk is that it would attract questions but no
answers if the people with the answers can't be bothered tracking yet
another mailing list. gstreamer-devel itself already struggles with
giving replies to the questions it gets. There's not really any way to
know that without trying it though.

On balance, I think it's probably worth creating, with an appropriately
embedded-specific agenda listed in the mailing list description.

J.