[gst-devel] Desperate @ wits end; newbie help please!

Wim Taymans wim.taymans at gmail.com
Fri Feb 22 10:40:54 CET 2008

On Thu, 2008-02-21 at 17:42 -0700, Sheshadri Mantha wrote:
> OK here is what I've tried.
>       * Using simply playbin as: gst-launch-0.10.exe playbin
>         uri="file:///c:/dvds/Aeon_Flux.mpg".  This plays the audio but
>         is not able to play video.  The output log is as follows:
>         C:\Documents and Settings\sheshadri>gst-launch-0.10.exe
>         playbin uri="file:///c:/dvds/Aeon_Flux.mpg"
>         Setting pipeline to PAUSED ...
>         Pipeline is PREROLLING ...
>         ** Message: don't know how to handle video/mpeg,
>         systemstream=(boolean)false, parsed=(boolean)true,
>         mpegversion=(int)2,
>         width=(int)720, height=(int)576, framerate=(fraction)25/1,
>         pixel-aspect-ratio=(fraction)16/15, codec_data=(buffer)00000
>         b32d0240230ea62380000001b5148200010000

You need an mpeg2 video decoder. We currently only have mpeg2dec in
gst-plugins-ugly, which depends on libmpeg2.

>         OIL: ERROR liboilcpu.c 282:
>         oil_cpu_i386_kernel_restrict_flags(): Operating system is not
>         known to support SSE.  Assumi
>         g it does, which might cause problems
>         Pipeline is PREROLLED ...
>         Setting pipeline to PLAYING ...
>         New clock: GstAudioSinkClock
>       * So i set the debug level to 3 and deciphered which plugins
>         playbin tries to use. and then tried to create a chain of
>         plugins which will play video (only).  This pipeline plays
>         only video (as expected)... NOTE: 1st 2 tries don't work.
>         C:\Documents and Settings\sheshadri>gst-launch-0.10.exe
>         filesrc location="c:/dvds/Aeon_flux.mpg" ! flutsdemux !
>         queue !mpegvideoparse ! directdrawsink
>         WARNING: erroneous pipeline: could not link mpegvideoparse0 to
>         directdrawsink0

mpegvideoparse outputs raw mpeg video data, which is not somthing
directdrawsink can handle.

>         C:\Documents and Settings\sheshadri>gst-launch-0.10.exe
>         filesrc location="c:/dvds/Aeon_flux.mpg" ! flutsdemux !
>         queue !mpegvideoparse ! ffmpegcolorspace ! directdrawsink
>         WARNING: erroneous pipeline: could not link mpegvideoparse0 to
>         ffmpegcsp0

Same here, you need a decoder...

>         C:\Documents and Settings\sheshadri>gst-launch-0.10.exe
>         filesrc location="c:/dvds/Aeon_flux.mpg" ! flutsdemux !
>         queue !mpegvideoparse ! ffdec_mpeg2video! ffmpegcolorspace !
>         directdrawsink
>         Setting pipeline to PAUSED ...
>         Pipeline is PREROLLING ...
>         Pipeline is PREROLLED ...
>         Setting pipeline to PLAYING ...
>         New clock: GstSystemClock

Nice try, but avoid using ffmpeg as much as you can.

>       * So then i tried to do both audio and video ... w/o success.
>         i've tried the following pipelines; none of them work.
>         C:\Documents and Settings\sheshadri>gst-launch-0.10.exe
>         filesrc location="c:/dvds/Aeon_flux.mpg" ! flutsdemux.video_%
>         04x  ! {queue !mpegvideoparse ! ffdec_mpeg2video!
>         ffmpegcolorspace ! directdrawsink } flutsdemux.audio_%04x !
>         { queue ! mp3parse ! dshowadec_mpeg1 ! autoaudiosink}

curly braces are 0.8 syntax and do nothing in 0.10, I suspect you
blindly copied this from somewhere.

>         ** (gst-launch-0.10:5852): WARNING **: error while parsing
>         ** (gst-launch-0.10:5852): WARNING **: error while parsing
>         WARNING: erroneous pipeline: link without source element

flutsdemux.video_%04x means the 'video_%04x' padtemplate of an element
named 'flutsdemux'. An element with that name is however never defined
in the above pipeline and so the next element cannot be linked.

>         C:\Documents and Settings\sheshadri>gst-launch-0.10.exe
>         filesrc location="c:/dvds/Aeon_flux.mpg" ! flutsdemux
>         name="d" {d.video_%04x ! queue !mpegvideoparse !
>         ffdec_mpeg2video! ffmpegcolorspace ! directdrawsink }
>         {d.audio_%04x !  queue ! mp3parse ! dshowadec_mpeg1 !
>         autoaudiosink}
>         Setting pipeline to PAUSED ...
>         Pipeline is PREROLLING ...
>         ^C -- I Had to break out 'cause nothing was playing

Above pipeline would be a possible working pipeline if only there was a
working mpeg video decoder in the pipeline. It's also possible that the
mpeg file simply doesn't contain mpeg2 video but, say, h264 or mpeg4.

>         C:\Documents and Settings\sheshadri>gst-launch-0.10.exe
>         filesrc location="c:/dvds/Aeon_flux.mpg" ! flutsdemux.video_%
>         04x! {queue !mpegvideoparse ! ffdec_mpeg2video!
>         ffmpegcolorspace ! directdrawsink } flutsdemux.audio_%04x !
>         { queue ! mp3parse ! dshowadec_mpeg1 ! autoaudiosink}
>
>         ** (gst-launch-0.10:3660): WARNING **: error while parsing
>         ** (gst-launch-0.10:3660): WARNING **: error while parsing
>         WARNING: erroneous pipeline: link without source element

See 2 comments higher.

>         C:\Documents and Settings\sheshadri>gst-launch-0.10.exe
>         filesrc location="c:/dvds/Aeon_flux.mpg" ! flutsdemux.video_%
>         04x! {queue !mpegvideoparse ! ffdec_mpeg2video!
>         ffmpegcolorspace ! directdrawsink } flutsdemux.audio_%04x !
>         { queue ! mp3parse ! dshowadec_mpeg1 ! autoaudiosink}
>
>         ** (gst-launch-0.10:4692): WARNING **: error while parsing
>         ** (gst-launch-0.10:4692): WARNING **: error while parsing
>         WARNING: erroneous pipeline: link without source element

Same.

>         C:\Documents and Settings\sheshadri>
> I've looked at the linux man pages and can' seem to uniquely identify
> the syntax when creating different threads... the man pages seem to
> add !src but add that causes pipeline errors.
>
> So would appreciate some definitive guide/man page to specifying
> pipeline.  For instance if I name an element, then can the video pad
> of that element begin immediately?  When do i use . and when not?
Define an element and give it a name:

.. ! flutsdemux name='myelem' ! ...

Refer to a specific pad(template) of the nearest element:

 .. ! flutsdemux  .video_00 !..

Refer to a specific pad(template) of a named element (which requires you
to name an element as well):

 .. ! flutsdemux name='myelem' ! ...  myelem.video_00 ! ..

These are about all the possible combinations.

Regards,
Wim