[gst-devel] best way to internally represent an image

Gustavo Sverzut Barbieri barbieri at profusion.mobi
Tue Feb 26 13:49:31 CET 2008

On Tue, Feb 26, 2008 at 5:10 AM, Florin Andrei <florin at andrei.myip.org> wrote:
> Gustavo Sverzut Barbieri wrote:
>  >     However YUV is not a good format if you want to mix it back into
>  > your RGB color space. Say you want to do alpha blending of your video
>  > on some RGB data (window or like), you'd have to convert YUV->RGB (or
>  > the other way around) and it will be slow... also you loose Xv.
>
>  Wait - I can't do Xv if I use YUV?

You misunderstood me (possible I was not clear enough). You CAN do YUV
with Xv, of course.    You can NOT do Xv if you want to get the YUV
mixed in some window RGB, for example make the YUV stream
semi-transparent on top of your application.  You'd have to rely on
other tricks like composite manager, ... But as I said, it's not
common to have such things.
    IOW: if you want to display a regular movie in some rectangular
window, YUV might be a best choice as you have less data do move and
less points to process for color planes.

--
Gustavo Sverzut Barbieri
http://profusion.mobi - Embedded and Mobile Software Development
MSN: barbieri at gmail.com