[gst-devel] building gstreamer with static libraries

David Schleef ds at schleef.org
Mon Jan 14 02:38:58 CET 2008

On Mon, Jan 14, 2008 at 08:50:22AM +1100, Adam Clench wrote:
> Is it possible to configure a build of gstreamer in such a way that no
> dynamic libraries are used? I am attempting to get gstreamer running
> in an environment that does not yet have a dynamic loader and I would
> rather not write one if I could avoid it.

Sort of.  You can disable everything related to dynamically loaded
binaries using --disable-plugin and --disable-registry, and use
libgstreamer as a static library.  Any plugins that you want to use,
e.g., everything, need to be copied over to a new build system that
will build them statically linked into an application.  This kind
of hack results in something that is completely unmaintainable.

If you're porting to a platform without a dynamic loader, it's probably
missing a variety of other critical system features, such as decent
threading.  It would be a good idea to let the platform mature before
attempting to port gstreamer to it.

dave...