[gst-devel] how to use gst-launch for playing yuv video files without any header?

Sebastian Dröge slomo at circular-chaos.org
Wed Jan 16 10:18:09 CET 2008

Am Montag, den 14.01.2008, 20:02 +0530 schrieb Nikhil Raveendranathan:
> Hi,
>
> I tried using gst-launch for playing yuv (I420) files in the following
> way:
>
>  gst-launch filesrc location=test.yuv ! xvimagesink
>

> Since I couldn’t play the file, I also tried out a program with
> elements filesrc, capsfilter and xvimagesink, setting caps with values
> for format, framerate, width, height and aspect-ratio. I could see
> that the caps was getting set for capsfilter element, and also upon
> checking out the negotiated caps for xvimagesink, I could find that
> the same caps (as for capsfilter) are getting set after caps
> negotiation. Now the file was getting played, but I was only seeing
> some greenish images instead of the original video.

Try it with videoparse from gst-plugin-bad:

gst-launch-0.10 filesrc location=test.yuv ! videoparse format=I420
width=x height=y framerate=a/b pixel-aspect-ratio=c/d ! xvimagesink

And then replace x, y, a, b, c, and d with the appropiate values.

The problem with your pipeline is, that a) xvimagesink doesn't know what
it gets (i.e. gets no useful caps but only ANY caps) and b) filesrc
doesn't output one frame at the same time (can be fixed with the
blocksize parameter). videoparse does all this for you.