[gst-devel] TI OMAP DSP support

Felipe Contreras felipe.contreras at gmail.com
Wed Jan 16 21:09:03 CET 2008

On Jan 16, 2008 9:22 PM, g <the_ether2 at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

> --- Felipe Contreras <felipe.contreras at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > There is different DSP stuff coming from TI. For
> > OMAP they provide
> > OpenMAX IL wrappers for their DSP codecs, which in
> > turn can be used in
> > GStreamer with gst-openmax.
>
> In the following article TI says they have a plug-in
> for GStreamer:

Wrong link?

> > They'll have to support OpenMAX IL.
>
> So if I understand what you are saying, it is that
> Gstreamer currently does not have any OMAP DSP
> accelerated video decode capability. That would have
> to be supported by a specific codec and that codec
> would have to be available as a plug-in to GStreamer.
>
> That's what I would expect. I couldn't imagine how one
> GStreamer plug-in could provide video decompression
> acceleration for another plug-in and yet that's what
> the above article seems to state.

Er, no idea, would have to read the article.

> However, the Nokia N800 and N810 must surely have a
> media player that uses the acceleration capability of
> the OMAP 2420 chip.

For video? Yeah that would be great, but that would require either:

a) Someone to develop the DSP codecs for the dsp-gw [1] and ARM side wrappers.

b) Nokia to provide the TI DSP stack (dsp codecs, arm/dsp-bridge,
openmax wrappers), and support for the N8x0 (gst-openmax).

c) TI to provide their DSP stack publicly and some maemo hackers
provide support for the N8x0.

I can't comment on what has more chances to happen, but it's always
good to shout to the companies for answers.

[1] http://dspgateway.sourceforge.net/pub/index.php

--
Felipe Contreras