[gst-devel] TI OMAP DSP support

Stefan Kost ensonic at hora-obscura.de
Wed Jan 16 22:18:14 CET 2008

hi,

g schrieb:
> --- Stefan Kost <ensonic at hora-obscura.de> wrote:
>> the video decoding for OS2008 (N8x0) uses arm
>> codecs. The voip codecs currently
>> run on th dsp (together with the rest of the audio
>> subsystem).
>
> Thanks for the info.
>
> So how come there is no DSP assistance for decoding?

technically it would be good to have video codecs on the dsp. if this is not
offered at the time its needed, one has to look for alternatives. most of this
is business related and you will find out about that when your trying it :(

> When you say that OS2008 uses ARM codecs, does that
> mean that I should use xvid or ffmpeg as is in
> GStreamer with no modification?

That would be a bit naive. The amr11 that is on the TI OMAP2420 has vector
operations and you can only get good performance if you can make use of them.

> Can you tell me what performance to expect? I have
> previously been told that even the N810 can only
> support VGA at 20 fps even though TI says their OMAP
> 2420 can support 30fps.

TI says many things. They need to sell their chips,

Stefan