[gst-devel] roadmap

Tim Müller t.i.m at zen.co.uk
Tue Jan 22 10:27:06 CET 2008

On Tue, 2008-01-22 at 00:20 +0100, Farkas Levente wrote:

> - why there is not any kind of roadmap on the website? it's be useful if
>  users and developers can know what's the current status, and what will
> be in the future and about when. even if deadlines are changing it still
> better than nothing. eg. what will be in 0.10, 0.11 or when will be 1.0
> how many release will be in 0.10.x. etc?

That's mostly because we don't really know.  Last I checked the plan was
to continue with 0.10.x and the current API and ABI as long as it makes
sense to do so.

> - why the gstreamer modules are not in sync in version number?  ie. bad
> and base why not bot 0.10.15 or at least the same?

Because they are released at different times with varying frequency
(e.g. core+base are released much more often than, say, gst-plugins-bad
or gst-ffmpeg).

> how we can know which version fit to which version? otherwise how we
>  can know when an element move from bad to good or ugly etc. imho it'd
>  be even better to release eg gst-ffmpeg 0.10.15 if there is nothing
>  change to be in sync with other plugins then users have to collect the
>  right version for their software. eg if i use only good and not bad
>  (so i don't download, install etc it) but it's turn out that i need
>  bad too, than i need to somehow research which version of bad fit to
>  my version of good etc.. just my 2c. yours.

Just get the latest release of each module. Gaps in the version number
would be confusing too IMHO.

 Cheers
  -Tim