[gst-devel] Writing audio to a file

Jeffrey Barish jeff_barish at earthlink.net
Fri Jan 25 01:41:57 CET 2008

Michael Smith wrote:

> On Thu, 2008-01-24 at 13:49 -0700, Jeffrey Barish wrote:
>> I am not able to write audio to a file (that can be played).  I have
>> tried
>>
>> audiotestsrc ! audioconvert ! vorbisenc ! filesink location=test.ogg
>>

> This is dumping raw vorbis packets to a file. Raw vorbis packets don't
> make any sense; they're not decodable.
>
> You need to mux it into a container format (usually ogg); oggmux does
> that.
>
> So you can use: audiotestsrc ! audioconvert ! vorbisenc ! oggmux !
> filesink
>
> Mike

Thanks!

I'm not sure how a novice is supposed to figure out something like this,
especially considering that GStreamer Base Plugins 0.10 Plugins Reference
Manual doesn't even mention oggmux (although it does mention oggdemux).
The next thing I wanted to do was to rip a track other than 1 using
cdparanoiasrc.  It seems that cdparanoiasrc has a property "track", but I
can't find documentation on it either.  Other than the documentation, I
think that GStreamer is pretty nice.
--
Jeffrey Barish