[gst-devel] roadmap

Stefan Kost ensonic at hora-obscura.de
Fri Jan 25 20:01:55 CET 2008

Hi,

Farkas Levente schrieb:
> Tim Müller wrote:
>> On Tue, 2008-01-22 at 00:20 +0100, Farkas Levente wrote:
>>
>>> - why there is not any kind of roadmap on the website? it's be useful if
>>>  users and developers can know what's the current status, and what will
>>> be in the future and about when. even if deadlines are changing it still
>>> better than nothing. eg. what will be in 0.10, 0.11 or when will be 1.0
>>> how many release will be in 0.10.x. etc?
>> That's mostly because we don't really know.  Last I checked the plan was
>> to continue with 0.10.x and the current API and ABI as long as it makes
>> sense to do so.
>
> imho roadmap are not so rigid but still give us some light of the
> directions.

Yes sometimes it would be nice to know what each developer is working on and
what is comming.

>>> - why the gstreamer modules are not in sync in version number?  ie. bad
>>> and base why not bot 0.10.15 or at least the same?
>> Because they are released at different times with varying frequency
>> (e.g. core+base are released much more often than, say, gst-plugins-bad
>> or gst-ffmpeg).
>>
>>> how we can know which version fit to which version? otherwise how we
>>>  can know when an element move from bad to good or ugly etc. imho it'd
>>>  be even better to release eg gst-ffmpeg 0.10.15 if there is nothing
>>>  change to be in sync with other plugins then users have to collect the
>>>  right version for their software. eg if i use only good and not bad
>>>  (so i don't download, install etc it) but it's turn out that i need
>>>  bad too, than i need to somehow research which version of bad fit to
>>>  my version of good etc.. just my 2c. yours.
>> Just get the latest release of each module. Gaps in the version number
>> would be confusing too IMHO.
>
> sometimes it's not possible to use the latest version! eg the given
> version working, test and used in a real environment which is more
> critical than playing my music files, etc.
> i understand the above, BUT it's the same situation as eg: with gnome or
> kde when there is a new release of gnome than all subpackages has the
> same version. even if nothing changed in gnome-audio it's still has a
> new version in order to be able to recognized even later which version
> belong to which version. there is not any gap in version since each
> subpackage has always the same version.
> to translate it to gst: suppose that the current version is gst-core
> 0.10.15 but i still use gst-core 0.10.5 and i want to select the right
> version of gst-bad. who can i know that?

We manage dependencies. If you want to upgrade gst-plugins-bad, it will tell you
if your core or base is too old. The other way around it should be no problem,
as we are in API stable mode for the whole 0.10 series. So there is no *right*
version of bad matching core. Its usually the newer, the better.

Stefan