[gst-devel] roadmap

Stefan Kost ensonic at hora-obscura.de
Fri Jan 25 20:35:33 CET 2008

Felipe Contreras schrieb:
> On Jan 22, 2008 1:01 PM, Farkas Levente <lfarkas at bppiac.hu> wrote:
>> Tim Müller wrote:

>>> That's mostly because we don't really know.  Last I checked the plan was
>>> to continue with 0.10.x and the current API and ABI as long as it makes
>>> sense to do so.
>> imho roadmap are not so rigid but still give us some light of the
>> directions.
>
> I agree completely. Where's the wiki?! I remember seeing it but I
> can't find it from anywhere.

Its linked from the developer page:
http://gstreamer.freedesktop.org/wiki/

> For me at least there are some interesting things happening like the
> parser base class and parser elements that would make decoders easier
> to write. There's also playbin2 (is it mainstream already?), the
> gst-ffmpeg update and the new gst-opengl module.
>
> And of course gst-openmax ;)

Difficult thing is to come up with a plan how to do the roadmap. Lots of things
are developed by submitting patches to bugzilla. The need review, discussion and
then they can hopefully be included (once there is agreement). But if everyone
starts listing patches there, I doubt it would help.
Then there is ad-hoc activity schduled on irc. Someone notices something and
starts checking. Eventually others help and so on.
Also every developer has areas where there is some continuos improvment. But its
hard to tell in advance what can be added/improved/fixed next.

Stefan