[gst-devel] gst-plugins-gl, OpenGL and stuff

Richard Spindler richard.spindler at gmail.com
Tue Jan 29 15:59:13 CET 2008

Hi,

I had a couple of thoughts/questions/ideas that I would like to share, feel free
to add your thoughts, doubts etc.

What I would like to do:
Drafting and eventually implementing an API for abstracting image
processing/colorspace conversion/video display in OpenGL in a reusable fashion,
framework and application independent, in the spirit of liboil or ffmpeg.

My Background:
I am hacking the "Open Movie Editor", it does simple OpenGL based compositing,
but it does not use gstreamer.

What I am interested in:

Hardware independence:
Currently working with OpenGL and Video is a mess, every Driver and Hardware has
different Features and Capabilities. There is powerful hardware available that
should be exploited. There is Mesa that has a software implementation as
fallback, but there are still gaps and circumstances under which certain
OpenGL extensions are simply not available. Somehow this needs to be worked
around.

Reusability:
Do the [ground/grunt]-work once, and enable a wide range of
applications/frameworks to reuse that work. I hope this would be in the interest
of all involved parties?

Relevant/Interesting Links:
http://www.mdk.org.pl/2007/11/17/gl-colorspace-conversions
http://macslow.thepimp.net/?p=123
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quartz_Composer

I would be interested to form some kind of Linux+Video+OpenGL working group,
with the goal of tackling on the above Problems.

So, what do you think? Interested to join that effort?

Cheers,
and have fun,
-Richard