[gst-devel] gstplaybasebin buffering and queue help

Israel Beliveau ipbeliveau at gmail.com
Tue Jul 1 22:16:19 CEST 2008

Hi,

I'm trying to understand how the GstQueue and gstplaybasebin buffering works
but I have a problem.

Here is my understanding using an example:

my min_threshold is 35% and upper threshold is 95% (following what
gstplaybasebin uses)
0------35----------95-----100
I start with no data at 0, this fire a underrun: this mean playback is
stopped but data continues to fill the queue. Data is displayed on the bus
that there is buffering.

When it gets to 95%, if fires an overrun event and no more buffering is
shown.

Threshold is set back to 35% and playback is resumed.

Correct me if you see anything wrong.

What I don't understand is how it works when it gets to the end of the
stream.
The buffer will go down to 35% has no more data is flowing in. But how will
the rest of the data will be outputed if playback is stopped because it
encountered the lower threshold? I probably missed something while browsing
the source code but can't find why it works.

Thanks,

IPB