[gst-devel] GStreamer switching to git

Sean Estabrooks seanlkml at sympatico.ca
Thu Jul 10 01:14:35 CEST 2008

On Thu, 10 Jul 2008 01:49:18 +0300
"Ole André Vadla Ravnås" <oleavr at gmail.com> wrote:

> I strongly object to this decision, and for one specific technical
> reason. git does not work acceptably on Windows, and this is caused by
> the basic design of its UI. It's a collection of shell-scripts, and
> thus it relies on MSYS or cygwin. Yes, it "works", but this is like
> telling people that MS Office supports Linux because you can run it
> through WINE.

This isn't really true.  There are multiple projects which already make Git
use on MSWin acceptable.  You don't need to install Cygwin, Git installs
just like any other application and runs just fine:

    http://code.google.com/p/msysgit/

There are some GUI tools being developed and there is a almost-full version
of Git now developed in Java which can be incorporated into the Eclipse IDE
etc.  On top of which, Git isn't just a collection of shell scripts any longer, they're
being converted over to C one by one.

So if you're one of the unfortunate souls having to develop on MSWin you
can now use all the powerful features of Git without much fuss ;o)

Cheers.
Sean