[gst-devel] GStreamer switching to git

Jan Schmidt thaytan at noraisin.net
Thu Jul 10 16:50:01 CEST 2008

On Thu, 2008-07-10 at 14:00 +0100, Jan Schmidt wrote:

> I've been trying out msysgit on XP this morning. The biggest stumbling
> block by far seems to be support for ssh keys. It's an essential feature
> for us (the only available access method to git.freedesktop.org), but so
> far seems to only be support by either using the msys command line
> client only, or by jumping through hoops to configure
> Putty/Pageant/Plink as the ssh binary msysgit uses (I haven't yet been
> able to get this to work, but I saw it working and am trying).

Actually, I got this working. I needed to install all the putty tools,
to have Putty, Pageant, Puttygen and plink.

I used puttygen to import my fdo openssh key and save it as a Putty PPK
file, then loaded it into pageant. Next, I set a couple of windows
environment variables:

GIT_SSH=C:\Program Files\Putty\plink.exe
PLINK_PROTOCOL=ssh

Next, I used the Putty GUI to log in to my fdo account, because I needed
to be able to click the 'yes, allow and remember this server key', which
I can't do when GIT logs in, but once it is done things are ok.

Then, I was able to use git-gui to clone a repository (I tried with
cairo), and I've got a tree I can use, and it's been checked out with
CRLF line endings, which is nice. The clone itself took a really long
time (> 1 hour), but I think that is the really bad network here at
GUADEC, or caused by the fact I'm doing all this in a VM, and not a
symptom of an inherent performance problem of msysgit.

J.
--
Jan Schmidt <thaytan at noraisin.net>