[gst-devel] GStreamer switching to git

Ole André Vadla Ravnås oleavr at gmail.com
Tue Jul 15 11:10:38 CEST 2008

On Thu, Jul 10, 2008 at 2:10 PM, Sean Estabrooks <seanlkml at sympatico.ca> wrote:
> On Thu, 10 Jul 2008 13:54:32 +0300
> "Ole André Vadla Ravnås" <oleavr at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I'm aware that things are in heavy development, and that's really
>> promising. However, for those of us stuck doing GStreamer development
>> on this broken platform it's less of an option to put our current
>> efforts on hold, or reduce our productivity by having to fix bugs in
>> tools that aren't quite there yet. There's certainly enough
>> interesting problems to solve with the code itself on this platform,
>> and personally I'm already bogged down with maintenance of another
>> build system (because autotools isn't usable for day-to-day
>> development on Windows), and introducing even more tools that aren't
>> there yet on the portability-side will just make things even less
>> productive.
>
> Git is a healthy project with lots of active development so things are
> improving all the time.  But that's not to say that the current version
> of Git on Windows is unacceptable.  Do you have any specific complaints
> against the current implementation?

Sorry for the late reply on this one, I was abroad without access to
any Windows system so I had to wait until I came home in order to
re-evaluate.

After giving it a fresh spin I am now happy to announce that my
show-stopper complaints have all been addressed and are now obsolete!
\o/  Sean; I would like to apologize for underestimating the activity
of git's Windows port, unlike certain projects that are moving in the
wrong direction by evolving into things less portable, this project
has developers who care about support for non-POSIX systems and who
are actively pushing it in the right direction. To fellow GStreamers;
my apologies for the stop energy, the switching decision came as a big
surprise so instead of patiently waiting a week in order to be able to
re-evaluate, I was worried that the switch was virtually finished so I
immediately raised my obsolete objections. Sorry about that, I suck.
I'm glad I was wrong. :)

My vote on switching has been changed to: +1

Cheers,
Ole André