[gst-devel] How to tell if gstreamer can play a file

Danilo Freire xharada at gmail.com
Tue Jul 15 23:04:34 CEST 2008

Hi,

I dont know exaclty if exists a "isPlayable" method, but I know that is
possible to browse all the available plugins using the GSTRegistry, them,
check all available mimetypes. You can save this mimetypes and compare with
your uri.

Look at the GMediaRenderer project, it checks the mimetypes in the
initialization of the application.

After you have a list of the supported mimetypes, you can use a typefind in
you URI and compare with your list.

Something like you run the gst-inspect and the gst-typefind in the file, and
compare the results.

[]s

On Mon, Jul 14, 2008 at 8:35 PM, Ash <hashbrown100 at hotmail.com> wrote:

>  Hello,
> I want my application to tell me if a certain file or uri is playable by
> gstreamer (meaning the system has the appropriate codecs and can create a
> full pipeline).
>
> Something like "bool isPlayable(const char* uri)".
>
> Is there a quick way to do this with gstreamer? Sort of like a
> gst_test_pipeline function?
>
> Thanks!

Danilo Freire
Laboratório de Sistemas Embarcados e Computação Pervasiva
Centro de Engenharia Elétrica e Informática - CEEI
Universidade Federal de Campina Grande - UFCG