[gst-devel] HTTP pseudo-streaming

Wouter Cloetens zombie at e2big.org
Tue Jun 3 11:19:04 CEST 2008

On Mon, Jun 02, 2008 at 11:51:19PM +0200, Julien Isorce wrote:
> It seems that for example youtube or dailymotion use "HTTP pseudo-streaming"
> : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flv#Delivery_options

As far as I can tell from that, the only requirement on the HTTP source
element is to implement random access by requesting byte ranges.

> So is there any gstreamer element that could play such flux ? souphttpsrc ?
> neonhttpsrc<http://gstreamer.freedesktop.org/data/doc/gstreamer/head/gst-plugins-bad-plugins/html/gst-plugins-bad-plugins-neonhttpsrc.html>?

souphttpsrc, neonhttpsrc and gnomevfssrc all support random access.

"Streaming via HTTP requires a custom player and the injection of
specific Flash Video metadata containing the exact starting position in
bytes and timecode of each keyframe. Using this specific information, a
custom Flash Video player can request any part of the Flash Video file
starting at a specified keyframe. For example, Google Video and Youtube
support progressive downloading and can seek to any part of the video
before buffering is complete. "

Making your player so clever as to do that as well is another issue on
which I can't really comment.

bfn, Wouter