[gst-devel] GStreamer licensing policy

Michael Smith msmith at xiph.org
Thu Jun 12 19:42:18 CEST 2008

On Thu, Jun 12, 2008 at 10:30 AM, Julien Moutte <julien at moutte.net> wrote:

> A lot of customers are completely against seeing GPLv3 inside shippable
> GStreamer components because of the TIVO stuff.
>
> What does LGPLv3 bring in that area ?
>
> This is definitely going to make them worried so we'd better have a good
> reason for doing so.

Whilst this is true, we're only talking about external, _optional_,
dependencies.

The sort of 'customers' you're talking about are people using
gstreamer on embedded devices - and they always select the exact
plugins they want to ship anyway. I'm sure they're not shipping
cdparanoia now, and they're not going to be shipping the
newly-relicensed cdparanoia either.

MIke