[gst-devel] First Plugin - Compiling and installation

Tim Müller t.i.m at zen.co.uk
Fri Mar 7 12:06:05 CET 2008

On Fri, 2008-03-07 at 01:49 -0800, Ionut Dediu wrote:

> I still have a question about the registry.CPU.xml file under
> ~/gstreamer-0.10. What is his purpose? It should list all the
> installed plugins, and since my make install rule executed
> successfully I would expected to add the plugin in the registry, but
> obviously this was not the case.

The file caches information about plugins previously found, so that
information is available without loading and inspecting all .so plugin
files at every gst_init(). It is usually (re-)generated from within
gst_init() if necessary, and will not be touched by any plugin
installation/deinstallation (even less so since the cache is per-user).

 Cheers
  -Tim