[gst-devel] Proposal to update glib, flex, bison and liboil dependencies

Sebastian Dröge slomo at circular-chaos.org
Fri Mar 21 14:06:25 CET 2008

Hi,
I'd like to propose to bump some dependencies, now that the new releases
are done.

a) glib:
   We already agreed on IRC to update the glib requirement to 2.12. This
   will allow use to remove some duplicated code that is in glib now too
   and brings use (among other things)
   - base64 encoding/decoding
   - GSlice
   - g_atomic_{int|pointer}_set()
   - g_hash_table_{ref|unref}
   - g_intern_string / g_intern_static_string
   - G_GNUC_WARN_UNUSED_RESULT
   - G_GUINT64_CONSTANT (which I'm sure we already use)

b) flex and bison:
   I'd like to depend on bison >= 1.875 and flex >= 2.5.31. These
   versions are available since a very, very long time now already
   and actually required to build our parser (and -good/gst/goom).

   Currently we have a very ugly hack to use pre-generated parser
   sources if no flex/bison is available or only too old versions.
   This hack has some timestamp problems it seems.

c) liboil:
   I'd like to depend on liboil >= 0.3.14, i.e. the latest version.

   First of all I want to use oil_scalarmultiply_f64_ns() in volume
   which was added with that version and then this new version seems
   to work fine on many architectures and has many bugs fixed and
   new optimizations.

   Platforms that are known to work (i.e. testsuite passes):

   - Linux (alpha, amd64, arm, arm-eabi, hppa, x86, ia64, m68k, mips,
     mipsel, powerpc, s390, sparc)
   - Hurd/x86
   - GNU/kFreeBsd amd64/x86

   Would be nice if someone could test on Windows and Mac OS X too.

If nobody has objections for any of these I'll update the requirements
in CVS on Monday.