[gst-devel] gst_xml_write_file failing with access violation on Windows XP

René Stadler mail at renestadler.de
Mon Mar 31 21:31:15 CEST 2008

Andreas Schuler wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have been trying to print my pipeline for debugging purpose using the
> xml write command but without success. What I keep getting is an access
> violation, no matter whether I am building in debug or release mode. Has
> anyone experienced a similar problem? What am I doing wrong?
>
> My current GST setup:
>
> GStreamer: 0.10.17
> gst-plugins-base: 0.10.17
> gst-plugins-good: 0.10.7
> gst-plugins-bad: 0.10.6
> gst-plugins-ugly: 0.10.7
> gst-ffmpeg: 0.10.2
>

> I am basically looking for a way to debug my GStreamer pipeline. I have
> found that GstEditor appears to be outdated and no longer compatible
> with the 0.10 releases. Is that correct? What other tools are you
> recommending to debug GStreamer applications?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Andreas

The XML serialization stuff is largely untested and expected to be
unstable.  Newer gstreamer core versions provide debug functions to dump
a pipeline as a description file for the "dot" program (from graphviz):

http://gstreamer.freedesktop.org/data/doc/gstreamer/head/gstreamer/html/gstreamer-GstInfo.html#GST-DEBUG-BIN-TO-DOT-FILE:CAPS

The final output of that is a diagram of the pipeline layout that
contains quite some details.

Apparently you can get graphviz as a simple installer for windows:

http://www.graphviz.org/Download..php

--
Regards,
   René Stadler