[gst-devel] Gstreamer on Windows XP

Tim Müller t.i.m at zen.co.uk
Mon May 12 13:54:58 CEST 2008

On Mon, 2008-05-12 at 05:42 -0600, Jeffrey Barish wrote:

> > There's nothing wrong here, it's just that cdparanoiasrc does not run
> > on windows - and so it's not included.
> >
> > I don't know if there's an alternative cd-ripping plugin for windows.
> > If there is, you could use that. Otherwise, you will need to write
> > one.
>
> (..)
>
> I found some evidence of an attempt 2 years ago to port Gstreamer to Cygwin,
> but it looks as if that effort aborted.  As cdparanoia will run under
> Cygwin, such a port would solve the Windows problem.  Does anyone know the
> current status of a Cygwin port?
>
> It would be helpful if statements that the project has ports to Windows of
> base releases (such as the one on this page:
> http://gstreamer.freedesktop.org/download/) included the qualification that
> the port does not include cdparanoiasrc.

The libcdio-based cdiocddasrc in gst-plugins-good should work on windows
(not ideal for ripping though, since it doesn't any kind of
sophisticated error correction). However, you might be able to link
cdparanoiasrc in -base against the libcdio-based cdparanoia that's
included in libcdio. I think it provides an API compatible wrapper.
(Mind you, libcdio is GPL not LGPL though.)

 Cheers
  -Tim