[gst-devel] Resetting base time in part of running pipeline

Arnout Vandecappelle arnout at mind.be
Thu Nov 13 15:52:18 CET 2008

On Wednesday 12 November 2008 15:03:14 Mark Nauwelaerts wrote:
> In case of option 3 mentioned below (which might well make sense), there
> are already some elements that do either that or similar, see e.g.

http://gentrans.sourceforge.net/docs/head/gst-entrans-plugins/html/gst-entrans-plugins-stamp.html
or

http://gentrans.sourceforge.net/docs/head/gst-entrans-plugins/html/gst-entrans-plugins-shift.html
or
> for that matter using "identity single-segment=true".
> This latter one, and maybe also the former, do require paying some
> attention to the segment (info/event) the element gets.  In some cases, it
> may also be needed (or sufficient) to put this re-timestamping element to
> NULL (during the pad-blocking switch) to reset some state.

 Thanks for the input.  I've tried with identity, and it works (almost).

 The problem with all three of them is that you need to specify the offset
somehow: with the delay property (shift) or with a newsegment (stamp &
identity).  However, this offset is not available until the next buffer is
received.  I now use the stream position just before the dynamic element
replacement, but that's of course off by one buffer.

 I'll therefore implement a 'resettime' element (based on shift) and add it
to -bad.

 Two more questions:
 * Any better name suggestions than 'resettime'?
 * To trigger the reset, I was thinking of a write-only property 'reset'.  Is
that the right way to go?

 Regards,
 Arnout

--
Arnout Vandecappelle                               arnout at mind be
Senior Embedded Software Architect                 +32-16-286540