[gst-devel] Caps Setting

Can Bal canbal at ee.bilkent.edu.tr
Thu Nov 27 13:57:25 CET 2008

Hello everybody,

First I must say that I am new to GStreamer and try to write my first
plugin/filter. My aim is to use videotestsrc to generate a video and
filter only the random part (on the bottom right) and output only that
section to the screen.

I know that I need to have different caps for the src and sink pads, so
that xvimagesink negotiates with my filter and decides for a lower
resolution than the resolution videotestsrc outputs. I have tried many
things to do that (including fixing the src pad caps to the resolution I
want in the template and in the _set_caps() function); but nothing works
and I simply get the same resolution with the input at my output.

If you can give me some hints of the required steps to this, I would
really appreciate. Thank you very much.

Best regards,
canbal