[gst-devel] ATI + GLSL + setlocale + linux

Julien Isorce julien.isorce at gmail.com
Sat Nov 29 22:41:08 CET 2008

> Note that locale "" should be your current locale (french)

Yup in first email:
echo $LANG
fr_FR.UTF-8
and same result with locale "".

So it could that the shader is just validated when you call
> glCompileShader and actually compiled when you use it for the first
> time.

I am attaching to this mail a new testcase. It shows that calling
glUseProgramObjectARB (p); is not enough to have the shader effectivelly
compiled. I have added an empty call to glBegin/glEnd(). (maybe an other
call to gl would be better)

So I can first call set locale "C" then compile/link the shader then call an
empty glBegin/glEnd() then restore locale to "".

Maybe we should do the same thing in gstglshader.c (as in this second test
case attached to this mail) instead of doing the fix I have just commited
some minutes ago.

> It would be interesting to see the output of shader compilation. With
> nvidia there are a couple of environment variables to see the result
> (assembly) of glsl parsing. Is there anything similar with ATI?
> Anyway if vec4 (1.0, 0.9, 0.1, 1.0) becomes vec4 (1,0,0,9,0,1,1,0) it
> is still valid GLSL code so it would explain why infolog contains no
> error.

I have to find them. What are they for NVIDIA ?

I always suspected it was some kind of ATI bug :P, I'm glad it's fixed
> now, it was getting me crazy (still I believe there is something wrong
> with ActiveTexture calls too because I had some issue even with my
> nvidian card).

doublecube example works well now on the new branch. I can see something on
linux too now. (since setlocale :P)

I will forward you the ati dev answer when it's done. (I have added some of
your remarks in the report)

Cheers

Julien