[gst-devel] Simple pipeline with rtp and udp

Jon Dufresne jon.dufresne at gmail.com
Sun Oct 5 22:09:40 CEST 2008

Hi,

I am experimenting with gstreamer for an rtp application. Before I
start coding, I want to see what gstreamer is capable of at the
moment, so I thought I would experiment with a few simple pipelines.
So far I have been unable to get even a simple pipeline working the
way I want and am at this point no sure what is going on.

I have two pipelines, one that is the server, and one that is the client.

The server looks like this:

gst-launch  \
	videotestsrc ! \
	theoraenc ! \
	rtptheorapay ! \
	udpsink

while the client looks like:

gst-launch --verbose \
	udpsrc ! \
	rtptheoradepay ! \
	theoradec ! \
	xvimagesink

I run these both on the same machine, in different terminals. My goal
is to have the videotestsrc image eventually play on the client side.

When I run the server I see the following output:

$ ./server
Setting pipeline to PAUSED ...
Pipeline is PREROLLING ...
Pipeline is PREROLLED ...
Setting pipeline to PLAYING ...
New clock: GstSystemClock

At this point I assume it is in a good state and is doing the job I
want. So I go to star the client. Everytime I see the following:

$ ./client
Setting pipeline to PAUSED ...
Pipeline is live and does not need PREROLL ...
Setting pipeline to PLAYING ...
New clock: GstSystemClock
ERROR: from element /pipeline0/rtptheoradepay0: Could not decode stream.
Additional debug info:
gstrtptheoradepay.c(623): gst_rtp_theora_depay_process ():
/pipeline0/rtptheoradepay0:
Could not switch codebooks
Execution ended after 17066459 ns.
Setting pipeline to PAUSED ...
Setting pipeline to READY ...
Setting pipeline to NULL ...
FREEING pipeline ...

I am not sure what the above error is trying to tell me.

Does anyone have an idea what is wrong with my pipeline? Or an idea as
to an alternative I can try to acheive the same goal?

Thanks,
Jon