[gst-devel] Building boilerplate plugin on ubuntu hardy

Michael Schwendt mschwendt at gmail.com
Mon Oct 27 11:53:37 CET 2008

On Mon, 27 Oct 2008 19:19:10 +0900, Jon Burgess wrote:

> Ok cheers - I had tried changing to GstPlugin and that was ok - but I was
> hesitant to do this because I assumed the generated boilerplate code is
> correct, and I had done something wrong.

I don't think so. IMO, the "make_element" script incorrectly substitutes
the string "Plugin" with your custom base name here, as the source base
name for the gstplugin.* template code is "plugin". That replaces
the GstPlugin type by accident.

> So, does this boilerplate generation stuff need updating?

IMO yes.

> Does anyone know if many people use it?

I would think it's the first place to start for
> anyone wanting to write their own plugin...

I would think so, too, because it seems reasonable to use it for a quick
start. I've used it myself just 1-2 weeks ago for my GStreamer plugin at
http://xmms-fc.sf.net -- sure, I've jumped around in the API html docs
quite a lot to add/change several things, but the guide and make_element
have helped a lot.

> One more thing - it wasn't clear to me, as a newbie to gstreamer and gtk,
> exactly how I was to edit Makefile.am in order to build a shared object with
> my plugin.  I did see either in INSTALL or somewhere like that, that I had
> to edit it, but just not how (but maybe it is obvious to someone with more
> experience).

It builds a shared library by default (with libtool), but hides it in
".libs" till you run "make install".