[gst-devel] v4l2 with alsa problem

Dan Taylor dtaylor at startrac.com
Wed Oct 29 02:01:54 CET 2008

I am working on an embedded application that uses GStreamer to play "TV"
(digital, analog, and
composite input) and I have a problem with analog.  When I use the
following command lines to
prototype my pipelines, the *testsrc version gives me video and the
tick, but the {v4l2,alsa}src
version only gives me a brief blip of sound, then silence while the
video continues.  When I run
the {v4l2,alsa}src pipelines simultaneously in different command
windows, then both audio and
video continue indefinitely, but are out of synchronization, which is
why I want to run them through
the same pipeline.

I have tried to use a muxer/demuxer in the pipeline (and in two
pipelines through a UNIX pipe),
but there is not enought CPU power to encode/decode something like OGG,
and WAV, which works
through the UNIX pipe, terminates at the "file" boundary, while I need,
essentially, indefinite duration.

I have made a small patch to the v4l2src capture_init() to unmute the
alsasrc, but that will be moved
to the application in the final version, along with the tuner handling,
and the debug message from the
kernel portion of v4l2 indicates that it is unmuted.

I have dumped the xml for both commands, but, other than the expected
differences, there are none.

I have tried verbose, messages, and debug, but neither alsasrc nor
alsasink have any useful output
and the messages indicate that the pipeline thinks it is playing.

What I need are suggestions for additional debugging or command line(s).

Thanks.

versions in use:

gstreamer-0.10.21/
gst-plugins-base-0.10.21/
gst-plugins-good-0.10.10/
gst-plugins-bad-0.10.8/
gst-plugins-ugly-0.10.9/
gst-ffmpeg-0.10.5/

command lines:

gst-launch v4l2src ! queue max-size-buffers=0 max-size-time=0 ! \
videoscale method=1 ! video/x-raw-yuv,height=608 ! \
queue max-size-buffers=0 max-size-time=0 ! ffmpegcolorspace ! \
queue max-size-buffers=0 max-size-time=0 ! xvimagesink  \
alsasrc device=hw:2,0 buffer-time=1000000 latency-time=250000 ! \
queue max-size-buffers=0 max-size-time=0 ! alsasink

gst-launch  videotestsrc is-live=true ! queue max-size-buffers=0
max-size-time=0 ! \
videoscale method=1 ! video/x-raw-yuv,height=608 ! \
queue max-size-buffers=0 max-size-time=0 ! ffmpegcolorspace ! \
queue max-size-buffers=0 max-size-time=0 ! xvimagesink   \
audiotestsrc is-live=true wave=ticks ! \
queue max-size-buffers=0 max-size-time=0 ! alsasink