[gst-devel] reg:non-conventional encoder/decoder plugin development

Ambily N ambilyn at gmail.com
Sat Sep 27 19:32:11 CEST 2008

Hi

We are trying to develop gstreamer plugins for one hardware H.264 encoder
and decoder.
One issue we are facing is, the encoder library doesnt provide an interface
for providing an input buffer for accepting uncompressed video.
Instead it captures from HDMI/Component video/DVI interface,for which there
exists an option for selection.

Similary, the decoder doesnt provide a decoded output buffer.
Instead it sends output to HDMI/DVI.

So our understanding is , due to these restrictions,the plugins cant be
developed as normal trasnsform plugins.

Instead the encoder plugin need to be developed as a source plugin which
generates encoded data and the decoder plugin can be developed as sink
plugin which handles both decoding and rendering.

Is this understanding correct and is this a right approach? could experts
please comment on this?

Regards
Ambily