[gst-devel] ffenc_h264 plug-in ???

Edward Hervey bilboed at gmail.com
Tue Sep 30 08:15:25 CEST 2008

On Mon, 2008-09-29 at 21:21 -0300, Alexandre wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 29, 2008 at 1:19 PM, Edward Hervey <bilboed at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>         On Mon, 2008-09-29 at 17:49 +0200, Wim Taymans wrote:
>         > On Mon, 2008-09-29 at 20:29 +0530, Irfan Shaikh wrote:
>         > >
>         > >
>         > > Hi All,
>         > >
>         > >       Can any one please tell me in which package can i
>         find ffmpeg's
>         > > H264 encoder plug-in ffenc_h264.
>         >
>         > Are you making up element names? That element does not exist
>         and neither
>         > does the 'ffmpeg h264 encoder'.
>

>          Indeed. I'm guessing he means the h264 encoder used by ffmpeg
>         ergo...
>         x264. And for that we have a plugin : x264enc.
>
> Or he meant ffenc_h264 or ffdec_h264, both of which can be found in
> the ffmpeg plugin.

  If you have ffenc_h264 on your distro, that means they're using the
system wide ffmpeg, most likely compiled with everything-under-the-sun
support (which includes x264).

  So instead of only having one level of abstraction for using x264
(gstplugin-x264enc <=> x264), you have two (gstffmpeg <=>
libavcodec(ffmpeg) <=> x264). Bad for efficiency.

  Oh, and as you might know.. we don't support gst-ffmpeg built with
system-wide ffmpeg.

  Just use x264enc, please.

   Edward,