[gst-devel] ffenc_h264 plug-in ???

Felipe Contreras felipe.contreras at gmail.com
Tue Sep 30 16:50:22 CEST 2008

On Tue, Sep 30, 2008 at 7:08 AM, Irfan Shaikh
<irfanshaikh at tataelxsi.co.in> wrote:
> Hi Wim,
>
>     According to your reply ffenc_h264 element does not exist and neither
> does the 'ffmpeg h264 encoder'. But just going through net i found some
> pipelines which used ffenc_h264.
> Earlier i was also not very sure about exsiting ffmpeg h264 encoder.But
> needed some clarification.
>
> Can i know in which package can i find h264 encoder used by ffmpeg ergo.....
> x264.
> As Edward told that we we have a plugin : x264enc...Please help me to find
> the package

FFmpeg has some encoders/decoders on it's own, but on on other cases
it's using an external library. That is the case with the H.264
encoder: it's using libx264. When it does that it uses the name of the
library, as opposed to the name of the codec.

In gst-ffmpeg you get the same name, so you have ffenc_libx264.

There's a wrapper for libx264 in GStreamer, but it's in
gst-plugins-bad, which means it's probably not in a great state.

Last time I tried gst's x264enc produced clips with not so good
quality (bad defaults?) and ffenc_libx264 worked better.

If anyone is interested in proper libx264 support maybe we can work
together as I'm interested too.

Cheers.

--
Felipe Contreras