[gst-devel] [Yet another SoC] - Mpeg2 Mux proposal

lyang oxcsnicho at gmail.com
Wed Apr 1 03:52:41 CEST 2009

Hi all,

I know people are expecting now an April Fool's message, but unfortunately
this post is absolutely not a candidate ;)

My name is Lin YANG, oxcsnicho on the IRC, a student from the Chinese
University of HONG KONG. I would like to apply for the Mpeg2 Muxer project
for this year's SoC. Here is a brief proposal on what I'm doing for the
project:

 * Enhance the current ts muxer, including
  1) Investigation of the recent issues about h264+aac working on mpegtsmux
  2) Implement some more options to make the muxer robust, like specifying
the pid, specifying the bit rate, forcing PMT, etc.
 * Write a PS muxer from scratch

For TS it is sometimes painful to ensure the playback quality on different
conditions, so the goal is to make it working with mainstream players, by
providing options to cater to different needs and intelligence level. For
the PS muxer, it is one of the few still remaining major muxers that
GStreamer would need. So there is no reason not to write one :)

Hope to get advices and feedback! Any comment would be welcome.

BTW, I don't see a mentor on the wiki page for this project. Is there anyone
interested in being the mentor?

Thanks!