[gst-devel] about GStreamer performance problem

Michael Smith msmith at xiph.org
Mon Apr 13 19:18:24 CEST 2009

On 4/13/09, liangzhihong1984 <liangzhihong1984 at 126.com> wrote:
> I did such a test:
> make an HDV camera connect to a PC, I call it PC1, and then streaming the
> mpeg2ts video data captured from this device with:
> hdv1394src ! queue ! mpegtsparse ! rtpmp2tpay ! udpsink host=192.168.1.100
> port=500
> and some other stuff, such as gstrtpbin  related.
> and then I received the stream on PC2 use GStreamer pipeline first, and VLC
> to compare.
>
> I found that GStreamer's performance is rather bad, the delay is more than 3
> seconds, which of VLC is 1.2s.
>
> Can anybody tell me why and how to improve it?

Latency and performance are not the same thing.

GStreamer's performance is probably fine - you're just seeing higher
latency. There are lots of things you can do in gstreamer to decrease
this - but you didn't describe anything about your playback pipeline,
so I can't give much in the way of specific advice.

Some general things: decrease the latency on the jitter buffer. Also,
minimise the size of any queues.

Mike