[gst-devel] questions about mpegtsdemux and ffdemux_mpegts

Michael Smith msmith at xiph.org
Wed Apr 15 18:19:07 CEST 2009

On Wed, Apr 15, 2009 at 3:04 AM, Andrey Boyko <andreib at module.ru> wrote:
> Hi, all.
>

> I'm looking for good MPEG transport stream demuxer and made some tests with
> mpegtsdemux and at first glance it looks appropriate but is under
> gst-plugun-bad so I tried ffdemux_mpegts also. File that I play contains 3
> programs - 2 (0x21 PID video, 0x24 PID AC3 audio), 3 (0x31 PID video, 0x34
> PID AC3 audio), 4 (0x41 PID video, no audio); all programs about 4.5 sec
> long. That what I got:

As a general rule-of-thumb, the ffmpeg elements are of lower quality
than the gst-plugins-bad elements. That's certainly the case for the
ts demuxer. Just use mpegtsdemux.

> Also, what are quality of ffmpeg plugin elements? I'm particularly
> interesting in ffdec_ac3, ffdec_aac, ffdec_mpeg2video, ffdec_h264,
> ffdec_vc1.

The AAC decoder, at least, doesn't work very well. I wouldn't expect
the AC3 decoder to handle surround formats entirely correctly either.
The others are probably fairly good.

Mike