[gst-devel] [gst-cvs] gst-python: Merge branch 'bz-577735'

Edward Hervey bilboed at gmail.com
Thu Apr 16 08:38:46 CEST 2009

On Thu, 2009-04-16 at 01:07 +0200, Thomas Vander Stichele wrote:
> On Thu, 2009-04-16 at 00:42 +0200, Edward Hervey wrote:
> > Thomas,
> >
> >   You were already told off once about merges. You now do a
> > double-merge... of a one commit branch.
>
> Your advice will go down better if you stop pretending you're a parent
> talking to a child.  Especially if you do it in public.

  I'm sorry you take it that way, public mail or not.

> I don't know why you think it's a one commit branch, it wasn't.  The
> commit is squashed.
>

> >   Please, CHECK CHECK CHECK and CHECK before pushing (use a graphical
> > tool like giggle) that you're not doing a non-fast-forward merge (you
> > shouldn't see any branches in giggle before pushing but only a straight
> > line), especially when you are not familiar with git.
>
> I did exactly that, asking for help as I did so to thaytan and ds.
> Thaytan said on IRC that the commit looked fine to him.  AFAICT the
> commit looks like a single commit; the URL shows it as such.  Feel free
> to explain to me how I can see from that URL that I did it wrong.
>
> By the way, I did *exactly* what you said in your last 'telling off'
> mail:
>
>   * git rebase master
>   * git checkout master
>   * git merge whatever

  That should have produced a fast-forward merge (i.e. without a merge
commit).

  What I see in giggle lets me believe you did:
  * git merge master (onto your bz-577735 branch) (as opposed to git
rebase master)
  * git checkout master
  * git merge bz-577735

  I just rechecked with the branches at the following status:
  * bz-577735 : f99e67aa24878d26dbd7f494f310bb466c5bd1cd
  * master : bbedab4e6521fe7c813f23698fe650203b1d0820
  And if you do the commands mentionned above or in the wiki... it does
a fast-forward merge.

> So if something is missing from this list, feel free to let me know, and
> document it somewhere publically so people have something to look at
> when they are really trying to do the right thing.

  I think http://gstreamer.freedesktop.org/wiki/GitDeveloperGuidelines
already has the needed information (see Merging branches and the first
line of Pushing changes), and virtually nobody seems to do it wrong in
those regards except in very rare occasions (most of them being the
first time people use git).